New to Unity, New Thought Philosophy, and Metaphysics?
If you are just getting started in Unity, we recommend the following books:
- The Story of Unity by James Dillet Freeman. A great overview of Unity history and philosophy.
- Discover the Power Within You by Eric Butterworth . A classic examination of the life and teachings of Jesus from the Unity perspective
- Lessons in Truth by H. Emilie Cady . The first book published by Unity.
- The Five Principles by Ellen Debenport . A modern introduction to the key teachings of Unity
Other notable books:
- Dealing with grief, change or transition? Finding Yourself in Transition by Robert Brumet is an excellent and practical guidebook that can help.
- For guidance to living a happy life and insight into the subtleties of the spiritual path consider books by Pema Chodron, including Start Where You Are, The Wisdom of No Escape, Awakening Loving Kindness, and When Things Fall Apart.
- Sacred Activism by Andrew Harvey is a call to a passionate life of awareness and transformation in a world full of danger and opportunities.
- Why Christianity Much Change or Die, by Bishop John Shelby Spong. A fascinating study of modern Christianity written especially to believers in exile.
- The Path of Centering Prayer, by David Frenette. A sensitive and insightful guide to the practice of centering prayer from one of its greatest practitioners.
Reading suggestions, to go along with our periodic World Religions series:
- For a great introduction to the teachings of Buddha pick up a copy of The Dhammapada
- For insight into Taoism there are many translations of Lao Tzu’s classic The Tao Te Ching available. Also check out The Way of Chuang Tzu edited by Thomas Merton.
- The World’s Religions by Huston Smith is a now classic overview of the world’s great religions
- The Bhagavad Gita & The Upanishads are two of the most important Hindu scriptures. Eknath Easwaran has excellent editions of both plus a translation of The Dhammapada.
- For a fun, detailed and insightful tour of the influence of Hinduism on modern America check out American Veda by Phil Goldberg.
- The Essential Rumi by Coleman Barks and The Pocket Rumi by Kabir Helminski are both excellent source books for this great Sufi poet and mystic.
- The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything – A Spirituality for Real Life, by James Martin. It certainly isn’t just for Jesuits.